Form 1065 - Business Partnerships

All domestic partnerships and LLCs must submit Form 1065. The IRS defines a partnership as two or more people who carry on a trade or business together. Foreign partnerships with income in the United States and non-profit religious organizations must also file Form 1065. Form 1065 requires a great deal of information about the business's annual financials, including gross sales as well as deductions and expenses such as rent, wages to employees, debts, interest on business loans, and other costs of operating business.

Filing a 1065 Form

Form 1065 does not determine how much tax a partnership owes, however, it gives the IRS a snapshot of the company's financials over the year. Partners involved in the business must still report their share of income from the business on their individual tax returns, and they must pay income tax.

Form 1040 - Individual

A 1040 Form is a standard form that individuals use to file their income tax returns. The taxpayer is required to disclose their financial income in order to determine whether they owe taxes or whether they are due for a refund. 1040 Forms need to be filed with the IRS by April 15.

Filing a 1040 Form

The initial form is short, however, taxpayers may need to fill out extra sections called schedules. For example, Schedule B is an extra section for reporting interest and ordinary dividends. Additionally, there are several variations of the 1040 depending on your individual tax situation.

Form Schedule C - Self Employed

Schedule C is an IRS form filed by sole proprietors and other self-employed taxpayers. IRS form Schedule C accompanies the main tax return form, 1040, for taxpayers who must report a profit or loss from their business. This form is also where business owners report their tax-deductible business expenses, such as marketing, transportation, commissions, supplies, utilities, and many others.

Filing a Schedule C

Using the Schedule C, the taxpayer calculates the business's net profit or loss for income tax purposes, which will be transferred to form 1040 and is used in calculating the taxpayer's overall tax liability for the year. There are also a few other less common scenarios that require the use of Schedule C.

For tax preparation in Farmington, Maine, you can count on Laura T. Kwon. She assists taxpayers and small business with Taxes throughout the state. She has years of experience within different organizations and is both a Registered Tax Specialist as well as a Certified Senior Advisor. Laura is especially qualified to help you with tax preparation, tax planning, bookkeeping, estate and trust taxes, and much more.